Tipping is incredibly important in the service industry because it conveys your satisfaction with an establishment along with helping the staff with their income levels. Hotels and restaurants are common locations where you automatically tip the service professionals, but bed-and-breakfast properties are often confusing for travelers. Take a look at when it’s appropriate to leave a tip at a B&B so that everyone is pleased with your time at the property.
(Rainbow Trout from the Pecos River)
When guests ask us about things to do around Santa Fe and I suggest fly fishing for trout I frequently see surprise and disbelief. There are actually multiple fishing opportunities within an hour or two of Santa Fe and many more options throughout northern New Mexico. While the Rio Grande is a meandering muddy river along the Texas – Mexico border it is a cold clear mountain river in northern New Mexico and home to lunker brown and rainbow trout. My favorite place to fish is the Pecos River, which is an easy 40 minute drive from the Inn. The Pecos is a classic tumbling mountain stream with headwaters high in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains and the Pecos Wilderness. The Pecos offers amazing dry fly fishing and is easily waded. The Rio Chama is only an hour away and offers year round fishing in the midst of Georgia O’Keefe country. For fly fishers looking to test their skills the many small streams in and around the Valles Caldera National Preserve is just two hours away and can be combined with a visit to Bandolier and the Bradbury Museum in Los Alamos. There are even more mountain streams to explore in the Taos area. You might even get a shot at a Rio Grande cutthroat trout, which is native to the Rio Grande drainage and southern Rocky Mountains.
If you have questions or need suggestions give us a call at (505) 984-8200. Inn on the Paseo’s Innkeeper, Terry, is always willing to talk trout and fly fishing in Northern, New Mexico. So the next time you are planning a trip to Santa Fe, think about packing your fly fishing gear. No space in your luggage? No worries we can connect you with our favorite fly shops where you can rent gear, hire a guide, or pick up the hottest flies for the water you’re fishing. And we’d be happy to help you arrange a guided trip with our preferred partners.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as tarragon, parsley, chives, and dill)
- 4 large eggs
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat oven to 350° F. Coat four 6-ounce ramekins or small ovenproof dishes with the butter. Divide the cream, 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano, and 2 tablespoons of herbs among the ramekins and stir to combine.
- Place ramekins in oven and heat until cream just starts to bubble, approximately 6 to 10 minutes
- Crack 1 egg into each ramekin; sprinkle with remaining cheese & herbs and season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake until the whites are set and the cream is
- bubbling, approximately 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
Bed-and-breakfast facilities have been around for many decades. These facilities are owned by the property holders, and they rent out rooms at discount prices. Also known and B&Bs, these facilities have grown their reputation based on personalized service and luxurious accommodations. The advent of AirBnB has muddled the reputation of this eclectic and old-fashioned industry, however. If you’re deciding between a bed and breakfast in Santa Fe and an AirBnB property, understand the differences between these properties before booking a room.
Inn on the Paseo will be hosting an art showing for acclaimed artist Carol Tippet Woolworth on Saturday, March 18th, 2017.
This event is free and begins at 4pm. Light appetizers and drinks will be served.
“From time to time I experience strange, intense, short-lived visions of beauty, an unfamiliar, elusive, barely perceptible beauty that surfaces in certain words or landscapes, certain colorations of the world, certain moments…” -Guy Maupassant
These words express my goal as a painter. My paintings attempt to capture an intense moment that rings absolutely true. A scene, a certain light, colors arranged that pierce through ones center to extract an emotion. A search for beauty in the familiar, unseen until revealed by the work. The mundane elevated to art.
To learn more about Carol and her artwork visit: http://www.caroltippitwoolworth.com/
A bed and breakfast can have a bit of a negative stigma. People will make assumptions about what happens at a B&B and then avoid them based on those assumptions. Perhaps they or someone that they know had a negative experience. Well, these assumptions will unfortunately prevent people from the relaxation and pleasure of a B&B.
Any time is the right time to visit The City Different, but a few times of the year can be more highly recommended than others. Santa Fe is a hugely popular destination, so it is recommended that you contact a first-class hotel such as our Santa Fe Inn early to ensure that dates are still available. Also keep in mind – the closest major airline hub to Santa Fe is in Albuquerque, 1 hour to the South, so make sure you have made arrangements for getting from the airport to your accommodations.
We wanted to share our top 3 recommendations for times to visit:
(Serves 8 -10)
- 1 1/2 cups POM juice
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick (2 inches)
- 6 whole cloves
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 medium bananas, sliced
- 2 cups halved green grapes
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
1. In a large saucepan, mix POM juice with water. Remove 1/2 cup of juice; set aside.
2. Add sugar, cinnamon stick and cloves to saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Combine cornstarch and reserved POM juice until smooth; stir into pan. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice.
4. Pour into a large bowl; cover and chill.
5. Just before serving, remove the spices and stir in fruit.
Yield: 8-10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts)
Christmas in Santa Fe is magical for all ages. Families of all sizes can enjoy viewing the lights in Santa Fe Plaza in the heart of the city. There are interesting and beautiful cultural traditions in many places in the Southwest, but the events in Santa Fe are certainly worth seeing.
If you enjoy to travel then one of the best things about being in a new city or country is experiencing a home-like atmosphere. That’s why bed and breakfasts provide a better experience than a standard hotels or motels. Because they are much smaller and more intimate, staying at a B&B adds an additional charming element to a vacation.