(Recipe makes 8 servings)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (or steel cut)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 11/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 medium apple (unpeeled), cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed well, then shredded (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking oil spray.
- Mix together 1/2 cup of the pecans, 2 tablespoons of the coconut, 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, the brown sugar and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir together the oats, baking powder, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together the milk, cream, maple syrup, egg, oil, and vanilla extract in a liquid measuring cup.
- Pour the milk mixture over the oat mixture, stirring to combine, then mix in the remaining 1/2 cup of pecans and the remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut, plus the apple, carrots and raisins.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the pecan-coconut mixture. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden at the edges and just set at the center. Serve warm. We’ve topped ours with a vanilla bean cream (same topping we use for our Oatmeal Cake).