(approx. 2 dozen cookies)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Tequila (optional)
- 1 ½ teaspoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
- 2 large eggs
- Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- Combine sugars, lime zest and orange zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds.
- Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and then add the lime juice, Tequila, and orange liqueur if using.
- Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to firm up dough
- Roll dough into 1” balls then roll briefly in sugar to coat.
- Space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake cookies until golden, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes then transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.